09 April 2013

Warm & Delightful Chai Tea



I haven't entered a Starbucks in many years, because I love where I live, and I believe in local economies. And I think their coffee is gross.

Something that wasn't gross, however, was their Chai Tea Lattes. Do they still do those? They made it from a pre-made, boxed syrup that they diluted with steamed milk. It always seemed like calories dipped in chemicals and coated in a heart attack. But dang, did it taste amazing.

I spied a recent post on Bon Appetempt that made a very simple chai tea using only cardamom pods for spice, but I wanted something bolder, bigger, with more spices and complexity.



I bashed up some spices and these were the casualties. The smell knocked me right on the nose and said "yes, you are doing a good job." The sun even came out a little (only a little, this is Scotland, after all) and gifted me with a very pretty light for photos. I could tell I was onto something.



Homemade Chai Tea
Serves 2

1 small cinnamon stick
1 star anise
2 green cardamom pods
6-8 whole cloves
3 bags of black tea

Bash all the spices in a mortar & pestle.

Simply toss it all in a teapot. Add boiling water. Go away for 10 minutes.

Then warm up some milk. Pour into your mugs. Don't forget your strainer. Add a little sugar. The end. Amazing.
_____________________________________________________________________



In other news, my friend Allison has given me a blogger award. An award with strings attached. How could you?! I thought we were friends!! The catch is -- I have to tell you a little more about myself. Actually, I have to tell you SEVEN little more things. So, here we go.

1. I have attended 6 different colleges/universities in my academic pursuits.
2. There are unfinished crochet projects hidden in at least 3 places in our flat.
3. I used to be a somewhat good flautist.
4. I have performed a vivisection on a frog. That's like a dissection, except the frog is still alive.
5. I make all of the cards I give to my boyfriend using Photoshop, because I am a secret design junkie, and I love that man beyond description -- so cards from the store (from someone else's ideas) will never do.
6. I designed and ran my first scientific experiment when I was seven years old. When my dad caught me, I got in trouble. I am a scientist today because I am still intensely curious about the world and how it works.
7. I have a teeny tiny Etsy shop for selling some of my crafty wares, with a terribly similar logo to the one on this blog!

Lastly, well, you all know the blogs I read (there's a list of them on the right-hand sidebar). Here are a few non-foodie blogs that I like.
{Design Blogs}

{Science}
Evolutionary Psychology (a free academic journal)


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there Kristen,

    I'm Laurence from the new cooking website Gourmandize UK & Ireland. I've been looking through your blog and it's a real pleasure to read. I was wondering if you'd be interested in letting us interview you for our site? We would love to feature your blog on our site so more people can find out about it.

    Let me know if it takes your fancy,

    Best,

    Laurence
    Gourmandize UK & Ireland

    ReplyDelete