06 December 2011

Baby Greens Salad with Orange & Fennel





So, it's winter again.

I know this because I had to switch back to my lighter foundation. Also, it's snowing. Brrr. I just want eat potatoes and cheese and hot sauce. Am I the only person who does this in the winter?

100_8683
Soooo [subject change] we just got through Thanksgiving, and I was lucky enough to host a meal for my friends. I introduced 9 of my favourite people to traditional American things like pumpkin pie, cornbread, green bean casserole, and sweet potato soufflé. The dinner was quite a success in the end, but DANG. I'm ready to not do that again for another whole year.

But this salad? I made it again almost immediately. I served it as part of my first course, and it wasn't the biggest hit of the day - but I could hardly expect it to be, since it sat on a plate next to homemade herbed cheese (recipe soon!). But it stuck with me. The flavours (and colours!) were crisp and bright and intense. It was the perfect way to get a bit of a detox after the big holiday/before the next big holiday. And it makes me feel just a little less guilty about my potatoes-with-cheese-and-hot-sauce habit.


Baby Greens Salad with Orange & Fennel
from Shutterbean, with a few small changes -- for example, I found the dressing lacked something. Doubling the sugar fixed it beautifully.

90g mixed baby leaves (such as red chard, rocket, spinach)
1 orange, segmented - Don't know how to segment an orange? Here's a video.
abt 1/2 medium fennel bulb, thinly sliced

Dressing:

3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon orange juice (from your segmented orange)
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
2 teaspoons brown sugar
salt & pepper to taste

Assemble salad. Mix up dressing. Pour dressing over salad. Eat it up. The end.

Serves 2.







4 comments:

  1. At first I thought I'd comment on this post talking about its recipe, which is simple, light and, in my opinion, elegant.

    Then I thought for a second time and realized I'd better talk about all the recipes I read on this blog... So interesting and good-looking (:

    At last, I took my time reading your profile and that was the most impressive of all the nice things on this blog. In a special way, I find it quite inspiring, since I am in a situation very similiar to the one you found yourself in a few years ago. Working with industrial eng. seemed pretty decent a couple of years ago, but now... Well, now it seems that no matter how much I get payed, it just won't be worth it. Funny the way it is. Still, it's really scaring to think of myself leaving everything I've got here and going after a life cooking. Still, it's worth thinking.

    Sorry for letting my personal thoughts out here, but your blog moved me in a positive way (: Maybe you'd like to know this, I would, at least... After all, what really matters is how we are important to other people (and in very different ways!).

    Congrats for your blog and special greetings from Brazil!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely words, Rodrigo. Muita obrigada! I I wish you the very best of luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This vinaigrette is extremely tasty, and the orange and fennel make a nice, unique addition to the salad. I doubled everything to serve four. Sherry in Union, KY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry, I'm glad you liked it! :) Thanks for commenting!

      Delete