07 September 2011

Butter & Garlic Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes

This is real life.

I got home from the office today and just stared into the refrigerator. Do you do this, too? I love cooking, but every day is not a masterpiece kind of day. Today especially. After staring into the fridge for a while, I gave up on that and then started staring into cupboards. Braindead.



Usually I know exactly what to make. Usually I think about it the whole way home, and stride into the kitchen with purpose. Not today.

Brain-dead me ended up making a super-easy pasta dish.. And it was amazing! After the first bite, I said, out loud, "why haven't I eaten this before?" This is nothing new. I didn't hit upon some long-forgotten secret. This is easy stuff. Because this is real life.

Cooking the tomatoes in the skillet (instead of just adding them raw) concentrates their flavour. They lose some water and become something really wonderful. If you wanted to, you could roast them in the oven instead, but why dirty another pan? Why turn on another appliance? There's no need for all of that. One tomato-ey bite lifted the fog from my brain and I was suddenly back among the living.

For the pasta, I used the angel hair variety. Next time, I want penne. Anything will do! Get crazy and try bowtie pasta. Yeah, do that!



Butter & Garlic Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes

knob butter
1/2 red onion, sliced thinly
8-10 cherry tomatoes
1 clove garlic, minced (not too small - I occasionally like a bigger chunk)
sea salt
pepper
pasta of your choosing, cooked al dente
handful black olives

Saute onion in butter until it begins to brown. Quarter tomatoes and add to the pan, then add garlic. Add salt and pepper to taste, then stir in cooked pasta once tomatoes are shriveled. Top with black olives. Eat up!

Serves 2

No comments:

Post a Comment