07 August 2011

Tomato Tart with Chèvre and Honey (Tomato Tart No. 2)

This is another tomato tart. This is my rainy Sunday paradise.



Tomato Tart No. 1 was a cheddar-y, onion-y variation on David Lebovitz's recipe, which was awesome and decadent in its own right. The one I made today is more true to the original, with goat's cheese and honey, and I'm so glad I tried it! It's so fresh and delightful, and I wish I had company to share it with... actually maybe they'd better stay away, because I am still in my jammies.

There might be no better way to spend a rainy Sunday morning than rolling out handmade dough as the rain pelts your kitchen window. Not to get too poetic or anything.


The trick here, I think, is good tomatoes. Don't try this with crap ones. Don't try anything with them, actually. It's ok to be a tomato snob.

Now, I'm not usually a honey snob, but I recently was gifted some microclimate honey from a beekeeper friend of mine, and wow. Just, wow. I can't believe how good it is, and I have a hard time describing it. It doesn't really seem as sweet as 'regular' honey, the flavour is just more complex and wholesome. I am really, intensely in love with it.


If you can find local honey, I say, grab yourself some - just don't waste it on tea or honey mustard dressing. Save it for special things... like a warm buttered scone, or a tart like this one.




Tomato Tart with Chèvre and Honey
adapted from David Lebovitz

200g flour
80g butter, cold
1/2 tea salt
1 egg
2-3 tablespoons cold water

6 medium tomatoes (abt 320g)
small log goat's cheese
honey
sea salt (I used fleur de sel)

Whisk together flour and salt.  Shred cold butter on a box grater (large holes) into the flour.  Toss to coat butter in flour mixture, then rub together using hands until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.

In a small bowl, lightly whisk the egg with water, then add to flour mixture using a butter knife.  Finish with hands, adding more cold water if dough does not come together.

Turn out dough onto a floured surface and roll out to about 1/2-cm thickness.  Transfer to tart pan, pressing into sides of pan with fingers.  Dimple bottom with your fingers and trim excess dough from the edges of the pan.

Preheat oven to 220C (400F).

Spread a layer of dijon mustard on the dough. Don't be shy, cover the whole thing.  Then, layer on thickly-sliced tomatoes. Top with goat's cheese. Drizzle generously with honey and finish with sea salt.

Bake tart in oven for about 30 minutes, until top of tart is browned.  Tent with foil if the top browns before the dough and tomatoes are cooked.  Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes, then carefully remove from tin and serve.

1 comment:

  1. I've done tomato and mozzarella tart before but this sounds more delicious. What happens when you use crap tomatoes? Nice photos you have.

    ReplyDelete