19 August 2011

Guacahummus = Guacamole + Hummus = Delicious


I saw this all of two days ago on Shutterbean's blog and absolutely had to make it, post haste! It reminded me instantly of the Guacamame (guacamole-edamame dip) of my beloved Trader Joe's. Can't we please get TJ's in the UK?

I already had all these ingredients on hand... so my brain was already halfway to this guacamole + hummus marriage. All it took was a little nudge.

The verdict? It tastes like guacamole, with the texture of hummus. It's awesome. I ate half of it for lunch and the other half for dinner. Yes, it's the only thing I ate all day. Please don't judge. And it was dead easy. I just threw all the ingredients in a bowl and whirred it around with my hand blender. Am I the only person who finds food processors entirely too inconvenient? Really, why do I want to take it apart after every use and clean all those little parts? No thanks. Stick blenders are the way forward.

I'll have to introduce this to the ladies soon. Each Friday night ("wine night"), us girls get together and drink wine and giggle and eat grown-up foods like hummus and crudités and olives. This is the perfect thing to share with them. You should make it for your friends, too!


Guacamole Hummus (Guacahummus?)
adapted from Shutterbean

two big handfuls fresh coriander leaves, chopped fine
1 garlic clove
abt 100g dry / 225g soaked, cooked & drained (or one 15-oz can, drained & rinsed)
1 ripe avocado, roughly chopped
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
juice of 1/2 lemon
sea salt

Soak chickpeas for 8 hours or overnight in cold water with a little bicarb in the water. Drain and rinse, then boil in fresh water, again with a little bicarb, for about 40 minutes or until fully cooked and soft. (Adding the bicarb helps those pesky outer skins break down and makes your hummus nice and smooth.) Drain and allow to cool.

Add all ingredients to a large mixing bowl and puree with a hand blender, or use a food processor. Season to taste with salt - you might need more than you'd think. Don't be shy.

The end. Easy!

3 comments:

  1. Guacahummus made me laugh! ha HA! Looks just so creamy and delicous! I'm wondering if this would be called 'fusion cuisine' ;) Mexican and...uhm..middle eastern?

    Tobias

    http://tandteacake.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tobias! Hm, fusion... why not! :) I lovelove this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is genius, Love the combo of two of my favorite foods.

    ReplyDelete