21 July 2011

Summertime Split-Pea Soup with Veggies and Chipotle Chilli



Um, hi. I know it's summer, but it's kinda cold here. It rains a lot. I have a theory that there's a little man in the sky with a watering can just waiting for me to come outside and get on my bike. It's always fun for about 30 seconds until rain gets in my eyes and I realise that wet jeans don't move so well when you're cycling. But I digress.

I decided to make soup today. I know you don't want to eat soup when it's hot. If anything, your wildest fantasy is to fit your entire body inside of your fridge. I know it's like a million degrees in my hometown in America right now (yea facebook peeps, I see you!), and I totally get that none of you want to eat hot soup on your picnic blankets. That just won't do.

But if you happen to live far enough north that it's sometimes cold in the summer - here you go. Or maybe your office is air-conditioned? Anyway, if you're here in the UK, I know you totally feel me right now.

The flavours in this soup are really summery, which I lovelovelove, but the packaging is all hardy and wintry - perfect for a chilly day like today. The texture of the pea soup bit is so silky and thick and then POP! -- there's a crunchy bit of summer veg! There's the down-homey, rustic texture of polenta. And oh my, the smoky chipotle chilli bounces in on it, too, reminding you you're alive with real working tastebuds. Pardon me for waxing lyrical on this soup -- I love it!

And, um... happy summer!

Summertime Split-Pea Soup with Veggies and Chipotle Chilli
inspired by this recipe on 5-Second Rule

1/4 cup yellow split peas (dried)
1 medium baking potato, peeled and roughly chopped
vegetable stock

1 green pepper, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 courgette, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil

1/8 cup polenta
1/2 tea chipotle chilli flakes
salt & pepper to taste

Greek yogurt for serving

Simmer split peas and potatoes in stock until both are tender, about 40 minutes.

Meanwhile, saute pepper and carrot in olive oil until beginning to brown. Add courgette and continue cooking until the courgettes are almost cooked but still crisp - this will happen pretty quickly. Remove from heat.

Add chilli flakes to peas & potatoes, puree with hand blender. Mix in polenta & continue to cook for a few more minutes. Add more water if things are getting too thick.

Season with salt & pepper to taste. Depending on the salt content of your stock, you might use more or less (I used more). Ladle into bowls and top with sautee'd veg. Garnish with additional chilli flakes.

Not pictured - I totally swirled in some greek yogurt before digging in. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment