17 July 2011

Greek Yogurt Fudge Popsicles



Dear Summer, I love you. I love your midnight sky and how you never let it get completely dark. I love the silhouette on the hills outside my bedroom window, better than the skyline of any city. I love how on your hottest days here in Scotland, it is never too hot, never unbearable. I love your weddings and barbecues and bunnies and flowers, and how you let me cycle to work wearing only spandex without freezing my bum off. You, Summer, are perfect.



I made these popsicles after seeing a normal (non-yogurt) recipe for them on SmittenKitchen, but I craved the tanginess of Greek yogurt. And having just returned from a conference in France, I couldn't resist using my newly-acquired fleur de sel.

Because I used a very thick Greek yogurt, I had to thin it out a bit with semi-skimmed milk and water. But if you opt for regular yogurt, or something labelled "Greek-style" - which gives you the tangy flavour without the thickness of real Greek yogurt - you should probably use 200ml of the yogurt and 100ml semi-skimmed milk.

These taste like frozen chocolate mousse. For real.

Summer Yum.




Greek Yogurt Fudge Popsicles
Adapted from SmittenKitchen

20g (~3/4oz) plain chocolate
65g (1/3c) caster sugar
1 tablespoon cornflour (cornstarch to Americans)
1.5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
big-ish pinch sea salt (I chose fleur de sel)
100ml greek yogurt
100ml semi-skimmed milk
100ml water
1/2 tea vanilla extract
small knob of butter (half a tablespoon)

-In a medium bowl, mix together sugar, cornflour, cocoa powder, salt, yogurt, milk and water.
-Melt chocolate in the bottom of a saucepan over low heat. When chocolate is melted, add the milk mixture and raise heat to medium-low, whisking whisking whisking, until mixture just reaches a simmer, whereupon it will thicken. This should take about 5-10 minutes.
-Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and butter.
-Pour into moulds and freeze!

1 comment:

  1. Yum! fudgesicles are one of my favorite summertime treats. I need to break out my popsicle molds again.

    ReplyDelete