19 July 2011

Giant Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie (a story of drunk baking)



The other day, I got drunk and made a giant cookie. It seemed, of course, like it was the best idea in the world.

I made it in my new cast iron skillet. I named him (the skillet) Angus. Immediately after taking the above photo, I burned my hand on Angus like a drunken dumbass. It was not my finest moment...

The photos below? Taken by my partner-in-drink, who I shall call "Coronatastic". Coronatastic's pictures are a little blurry... I wonder why?



Two days later, I cut the cookie up into bars and took it with me to help my friends move house. They were supposed to be for feeding the worker men who carried the big heavy stuff. Maybe the girls ate them all instead. Sorry, guys.

It was, shockingly, better after sitting there for two days. Or it could have just been because my taste buds were no longer paralysed by alcohol. Either way, it keeps well.

If you don't have an Angus of your very own, no worries. I imagine you can use a cake pan... anything over 2" deep should do the job.


Giant Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie
adapted from 101Cookbooks

1 cup whole wheat flour
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
225 g (2 sticks) room-temp unsalted butter
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup (200g) white sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
225g (8oz) plain or bittersweet chocolate, chopped or chips

Preheat the oven to 175°C/350°F. The original recipe says to butter your cast-iron skillet, but I drunkenly missed this instruction... so I didn't do this but it worked fine. So, use your own judgement here but I don't think it's necessary, since cast iron is brill.

Whisk together the dry ingredients in a large bowl.

In another large bowl, Mix together the butter and the sugars. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing until each is combined. Add the vanilla. Add the flour mixture to the bowl and mix on low speed (I used a spoon) until the flour is barely combined. Add chocolate and mix until all flour is combined. Dump into your cast iron and level out with a spoon.

Bake the giant cookie for 35-45 minutes, or until until the dough is a deep golden brown along the edge, and the center has set. Remove from oven and let cool a bit before slicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment