22 February 2011

Little Lemon Loaf Cakes

I'm about to make you all incredibly icked-out.

I'm sorry.  It's just that I've been pretty happy these days.  My research is moving along.  My friends are kind of amazing.  Everything's coming up roses.  I walk around with a grin on my face at the grocery store like those cute girls who I used to find so revolting.  It's fabulous.  So, nevermind, I am not sorry.



I bet you can find something to be happy about today.  Maybe, for instance, these tiny cakes?

Did you know that if you walk down the street with a silly grin on your face, the people who pass you on the pavements just can't help but smile back?  They might be thinking, "OMG that girl is bat-shit crazy."  Or maybe the happiness is contagious.  Either way, these little lemon loaf cakes are just about as crazy/happy as I am these days.

If only I could put a sugary glaze on myself... oh, wait... that'd be sticky.  And weird.


I dare you to be miserable while eating one of these.  Just try.

Then, once you get happy, go ahead and put little braids in your hair.  Get overly excited about nail polish.  Put on your frilliest dress and flirt with a cute boy.  Maybe give him a little lemon cake, if you really fancy him.  Life is kinda too short to be doing anything else.


Little Lemon Loaf Cakes
adapted from Pam's Pantry, who found the recipe somewhere else, who found the recipe from Ina Garten. Isn't the internet grand?
I quartered the original recipe and it made 4 little loaves.  Only 3 are pictured... because I ate one.

55g (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
115g (1/2 cup) granulated sugar
1 egg, at room temperature
zest of one lemon
90g (3/4 cup) all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon bicarb (baking soda)
1/4 teaspoon salt
juice of one lemon - reserving one teaspoon for glaze
50ml (1/4 cup) buttermilk, at room temperature
2 tablespoons single cream (or additional buttermilk... I was out)
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Glaze:
1 teaspoon lemon juice
60g (1/2 cup) icing sugar

1. Line 4 mini loaf tins with baking paper.  Preheat oven to 175C/350F. 
2. In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar for about 5 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Mixing at medium speed, add eggs, one at a time, and lemon zest.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, bicarb and salt in a bowl. In yet another bowl, combine lemon juice, buttermilk, cream (if using) and vanilla. Add flour and buttermilk mixtures alternately to butter and sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour. Divide batter evenly between loaf pans, smooth tops, and bake for ~20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
4. Allow cakes to cool completely.
5. For glaze, combine icing sugar and lemon juice in a bowl, mixing with a whisk until smooth. Pour over top of cakes, and allow glaze to drizzle down the sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment