19 January 2011

Jalapeño Lime & Cheddar Cornbread



Today, I made the best cornbread in the history of the world.

Really.

It came about due to my limes.  I wanted limes and jalapeños.  I've also been obsessed with polenta lately.  It was like two trains of thought collided in my head and made this bread happen.

There is no difference between polenta and cornmeal, come to find out.  I grew up in Cornbread Land (also known as America), where it's made properly sweet with brown sugar and maple syrup (in Ohio, anyway).  Savoury cornbread always intrigued me, but I never thought to try it until today.  I didn't go full-savoury and used brown sugar in the mix, and the blending of sweet and spicy was seriously just about perfect.

I also went an extra non-traditional step, and used wholemeal flour instead of plain white flour.  I couldn't even notice the difference.  This might actually be healthy AND delicious.  Maybe.



Jalapeño Lime & Cheddar Cornbread
Original recipe by me!
This makes a very small amount (because I am just one tiny person) and comes out about 2.5 inches high in a small loaf pan.  This could easily be doubled or tripled and baked in a larger pan, just watch your baking time.

juice of 1 whole lime
scant 1/2 cup whole milk
2/3 cup cornmeal (also sold as polenta or corn grits in Britain)
1/2 cup wholemeal flour
1 tablespoon maize flour (Also likely to be called corn flour in America. Not to be confused with British cornflour or American cornstarch, which are the same thing, and neither one is maize flour.)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup demerara (or use brown sugar)
60g (4 tblsp) unsalted butter
1 egg
1 green jalapeño chilli, diced
small handful grated cheddar cheese


Put lime juice in a liquid measuring glass, and add milk until you have 1/2 cup of liquid.  Leave sitting at room temperature for about an hour before beginning the bread.  This is like making buttermilk, except with lime instead of lemon.  The milk with thicken and curdle a bit so don't freak out if this is your first time.  In the meantime, butter your baking tin or line with baking paper.

Preheat oven to 170C/350F.

Mix together next 5 ingredients in a large bowl, set aside.

In a small saucepan, melt butter and mix in sugar until smooth.  Remove from heat and whisk in milk mixture and egg.

Add diced chilli and grated cheese to dry ingredients, then mix in wet ingredients.  Stir until just incorporated and pour in baking tin, smoothing the top so it is even.  Bake for about 30 minutes, or until top is lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean.

Serve warm with salted butter.  Serves 3-4 as an appetizer or side.

2 comments:

  1. I made this and it was a hit! Thank you for the recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful, I'm really glad you liked it! Thanks for commenting! :)

      Delete