12 December 2010

Triple-Chocolate Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies



It's Christmas at KitchenLab - the very first one!

First off, you might notice that KitchenLab has a new look.  It's a little early Christmas present for my blog, which is almost one year old.  That new header/logo up top is fancy.  I made it myself (proud Kristen beams and hugs laptop).  Also, please enjoy the festive holiday background.  My PhD supervisor has me learning a few web design tricks (which are useful for lab things) so I'm applying them, judiciously, to my other little habit here in cyberspace.  I actually edited my own HTML.  It was scary, but I lived.

Secondly, Christmas is coming soon, which can only mean that my kitchen has exploded with cookies.  Holy smokes!  So far, I have made 5 6 kinds of cookies, totalling approximately 300 of the little buggers.  They are supposed to be for gifts, and not for putting into my face, but I am having troubles.  Especially with this one in particular.  They are big and soft and full of deliciousness - but have oats and fresh fruit in them, so they can't be that bad for you, right??

Happy Christmas from KitchenLab!



Triple-Chocolate Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies
Original recipe from Bon App├ętit

1 cup (120g) all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda (bicarb)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks or 140g) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup (100g) sugar
1/2 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup old-fashioned oats (porridge oats)
1/2 cup (50g) each milk chocolate, semisweet/plain chocolate, and white chocolate - chopped or chips
1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh or frozen cranberries


Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F/175C. Line 2 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. Whisk flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in medium bowl to blend.

In another (large) bowl, beat butter and both sugars until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla. Add flour mixture and oats and stir until blended. Stir in all chocolate chips and cranberries.

Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls onto prepared sheets, 2 inches apart. Bake cookies, 1 sheet at a time, until edges are light brown, about 16 minutes (about 9 minutes for fan-assisted ovens). Cool on sheets 2 minutes. Transfer to rack; cool completely.

At this point you can also drizzle with melted chocolate; I opted not to do so.

Makes about 30 cookies.

9 comments:

  1. Hey there!
    I stumbled upon your blog through Tastespotting and just wanted to leave a brief note 'cause these cookies look fantastic and I hope that, next time I have a stretch to bake, I can bake a batch up! ^_^

    Wishing you all the best for the holidays,

    Elle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great and I was wanting to try this version. Thanks for sharing.
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you say, oatmeal and cranberries can't be bad for you! And these look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these cookies! And congrats on almost being a year old!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! I'm bookmarking this one for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love oatmeal cookies and these look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just made these cookies for a family dinner tonight and my mother snuck a taste (to make sure it held up to the meal she's preparing :). As I am typing she will not stop asking me for the recipe or nibbling on the cookie platter. I added orange zest (1 small orange) and 1/4 cup ground almonds (or any nut you like) for exture texture. They came out great!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just made these cookies, my first baking experience actually, and they've gone down a treat at home! thank you! will def be baking more often

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks to all for the lovely comments!

    @ Nore - adding orange zest is an awesome idea! I love the way the cinnamon plays on the cranberries and I think orange zest would make these even better!

    @ Anon. - this makes me so happy. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete