16 November 2010

Simple (and delicious!) Cannellini Bean Dip



I was walking down the hall at the office today with my flatmate.  I thought I'd be fun and silly and try to ride her bike down the corridor (we are both annoying eco-friendly cyclists).  Her legs are much longer than mine, and I totally crashed her too-big-for-me bike after a distance of about 1 foot, at a speed of about 5 metres-per-hour.  Fortunately, it was after hours and no one saw me viciously attack a doorknob all slow-motion-like with the soft part of my arm, which nearly instantaneously bruised to holy heck.  It was the slowest bicycle crash in the history of bike riding.  Fact.

There's no point to that story other than communicating how silly and uncoordinated I feel lately (whereas usually I am the perfect picture of ladylike gentility).  Okok, maybe that's not exactly true.

Anyway, this is the one thing I haven't screwed up in the last few days, which means it must be dead easy.  And (bonus!) if you serve it to someone, they will probably think you're elegant, even if you feel clumsy like me.



Cannellini Bean Dip

~450g (16oz) cooked cannellini beans, drained & rinsed
~60ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
1 clove crushed garlic
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
1/4 tea (or less if you prefer) cayenne
pinch ground nutmeg
few sprigs chopped coriander leaves (cilantro)

Place beans, oil, garlic, lemon juice, salt, nutmeg & cayenne in food processor - or do as I do and use an immersion blender because I'm too cheap to buy a food processor.  Whir until smooth.  Mix in coriander with a spoon.

Serve warm in a bowl drizzled with some extra olive oil & sprinkle some cayenne or paprika over the top.  The end.

6 comments:

  1. This is perfect timing! I have some cooked great northern beans that I was thinking of making into a dip but wasn't sure what direction to go in. thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is basically like hummus but you're using cannellini beans instead, no?
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Oriana - yep, though with hummus one would also use tahini. I imagine this would hold up to whatever variations you wanted to throw at it, as hummus would - for example adding some roasted peppers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had a similar accident before, also in a hallway where people live. I must say, it's nice to have some company in the 'I tried to ride a bike in an inconvenient place and wrecked' but whereas you escaped with a bruise, I remained physically unhurt. My pride, however, stung.

    And this dip looks absolutely fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Rich... you should see the sucker. Green and purple and yellow... and even blue, I swear. Just awful. The rainbow bruise of death. Fortunately it's wintertime and I can reasonably cover up. However (at the risk of taking pleasure in the misery of others)... I am glad to hear I'm not alone. :)

    ReplyDelete