25 October 2010

Polenta Triangles with Goat's Cheese, Chilli Jam & Rocket

My flatmate and I had a party.



I fed lots of omnivores a whole bunch of vegetarian food.  I overheard someone say, "this vegetarian food is so good that I don't care that it's vegetarian."  It put a huge, silly grin on my face.  They were talking about these appetizers.

I did, however, make them some roasted pork tenderloin.  I'm told it was tasty.  I did it to be hospitable, since I would expect someone to consider my vegetarian food needs if they invited me over for dinner.  Still... I don't want to talk about it.  I want to talk about this.

A little while back, I was inspired by Yotam Ottolenghi's version of this, which he blogged about over at the Guardian.  He uses gooseberry and chilli relish, and garnishes with basil.  I had chilli jam hanging around (recipe can be found here), and the rocket was my flatmate's idea.  The whole thing is a much simpler version of the original - so easy and it comes together in a snap.

Keep an eye out for more recipes from the party, which will be coming along soon!



Polenta Triangles with Goats Cheese, Chilli Jam & Rocket

you will need:
Polenta brick, sliced and cut into triangles
Goat's cheese, grated - I use a medium-hard version but you could easily use crumbled soft chèvre 
Rocket leaves
Olive oil

Heat a little olive oil a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.  Add polenta and fry gently until most of the sputtering has stopped (the popping/sputtering is the water in the polenta having a not-friendly reaction with the hot oil), about 4-5 minutes.  Polenta will be slightly golden in colour, but will not brown.  Don't wait for a browning to happen - you'll be sorely disappointed since it will take about 100 years and your polenta will turn into hard little hockey pucks.  (How's that for hyperbole?)

Gently flip over the triangles, adding a little more olive oil if you need to.  While the second side is cooking, add some grated cheese to the top of each piece and allow it to melt.  Remove polenta from pan and arrange on plate.  Drop a little bit of chilli jam on top of each triangle and top each with a small rocket leaf.  Serve warm.

2 comments:

  1. These triangles look fantastic and so colourful!

    I'd love for you to submit on of your beautiful photos, and a link to your post, to my new vegetarian food photo gallery showcasing the beautiful and flavorful vegetarian food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had known this recipe for a cocktail party I threw a few months ago. This looks soo delicious and Im sure my meat-loving friends would have loved this too! :)

    PS: Came here through tastespotting. Beautiful photograph.

    ReplyDelete