06 October 2010

Honey-Soy Soba Noodles with Chestnut Mushrooms and Caramelised Onions



One word: umami.  Umami is a deep, complex, savoury flavour.  It's good stuff.

This dish is full of umami.  You find it in the mushrooms.  It's there in the soba noodles with their nutty, buckwheat flour goodness.  It's in the carmelised onion.  It's in the soy.  It's everywhere.

This is a great autumn dish.  Warm.  Cozy.  Umami.

Yep.




Honey-Soy Soba Noodles with Chestnut Mushrooms & Caramelised Onions
Original recipe by me!

2 bunches soba noodles
1 large onion
12-or-so chestnut mushrooms
1 clove minced garlic
two shakes white wine vinegar, or really any comparable subsitute will do
2 tea honey
soy sauce to taste, enough to cover noodles**

Prepare soba noodles to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water, set aside.

Heat a few tablespoons vegetable oil in a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat.  Slice onion and add to hot oil, stirring to cover in oil and allow to cook while you chop the mushrooms, about 4 minutes.

Destem and slice mushrooms and add to pan.  Add a bit more oil if needed, and add the garlic.  Allow to cook until both the onions and mushrooms are nicely browned.  Add honey and a couple swigs of vinegar (really just a touch to add an acidic note).  Stir to combine and add noodles to the saucepan.  Drizzle soy sauce over and stir to incorporate.  Fry until noodles are heated through and serve.

Serves 2 as a main (my appetite's been tiny of late, and I squeezed 3 mains out of this).

**I wish I had better measurements, it's something I try to get a feel for when I cook but usually I just throw things together if I'm not working off someone else's recipe.  Sorry.

7 comments:

  1. this looks really delicious. soba noodles rock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely Umami! Lots of flavour, yet so simple to prepare. Thanks for sharing!
    - Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds (and looks!) yummy!!! Simple, but delicious! I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a really delicious recipe, I normally use sugar, but honey worked just fine and it's much healthier. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys! Julia, I agree that honey is much healthier - which makes me feel better when I eat half a cake in one day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've eaten soba before, but I think the flavor of yours would beat anything I've ever eaten. It sounds so complex and gourmet. I want some already.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks so so good! I LOVE mushrooms. I recently made this portobello mushroom tower and it was so yummy!

    ReplyDelete