29 October 2010

Dorie Greenspan's Mustard Batons

Along with the polenta triangles I posted about a few days ago, I served these as appetizers at our recent get-together.  They were a hit!


Hot mustard is one of my favourite secret ingredients.  It does good stuff to mashed potatoes.  Trust me on that.  I've really been loving mustard lately, and putting it in practically everything.  I've gone through 3 jars of mustard (in one form or another) in the last month.  That's a lot.

These batons are so perfect for a dinner party in many ways.  First, I actually made these about a week before the party, when I had some spare time, laid them all out on sheets of parchment paper on a baking sheet, and froze them.  Then the morning of the party, I thawed them (which took only about 20 minutes at room temperature) and baked them off.  They kept very nicely sitting out all day while I made other things.

And they are dead easy.  You just roll out some puff pastry, spread on some mustard, fold, slice, apply eggwash & toppings of choice (I used coarse sea salt, Dorie uses poppy or sesame seeds), and bake.


Mustard Batons
Original recipe by Dorie Greenspan and published in Around My French Table or online here

You will need:
All-purpose flour, for rolling
Frozen puff pastry (each about 8½ ounces), thawed
Dijon mustard
1 large egg
Sea salt or poppy seeds for topping (optional)

Preheat oven to 400F (200C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

Roll out pastry on a lightly-floured surface until very thin and measures approximately 12x16 inches (and as rectangular-shaped as you can get it).

Spread mustard over 1/2 of the pastry, leaving edges un-mustarded.

Fold pastry in half and slice into strips about 3/4 of an inch wide using a pizza cutter.  Transfer to baking sheets.

Lightly beat egg in bowl with a little cold water to create an egg wash.  Brush over tops of each strip and sprinkle on some large-flaked sea salt (Dorie uses poppy seeds or sesame seeds instead).

Bake for 15 minutes, turning once halfway through, or until pastry is puffed and nicely browned (think the colour of a soft pretzel).



2 comments:

  1. That's fabulously easy! I love mustard too - I'm definitely flagging this one for my next dinner party. I so need Dorie's new book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Those sound really good.

    ReplyDelete