08 October 2010

Cabbage, Barley & Red Lentil Soup

It's cold in Scotland today.  I made soup for lunch.  It warmed me right up.



I have a thing for soups, it seems.  This one's not the most attractive, but it's hearty and warm and perfect for  this dreary Scottish day, which I will be spending in the lab getting busy with science.  (Yes, I just finished my Master's, like, two weeks ago... and no, there is no rest for the weary.)* I don't know what else to say about this soup, really... it's just a really good soup that's simple and comforting. Give it a try.


Cabbage, Barley & Red Lentil Soup
I used chinese leaf (aka napa cabbage) but have also used sweetheart or pointed cabbage to great effect.
original recipe by me!

1/2 head white cabbage
1 carrot
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
50g (1/3 cup) barley, dry
50g (1/3 cup) red lentils, dry
juice of 1/2 lemon
veg. broth
salt/pepper


Get the barley simmering in plenty of water while you work on chopping veg. Let go until cooked, about 40 minutes. Drain and set aside.

Meanwhile, chop up your cabbage and carrot. Sauté cabbage in olive oil until it begins to soften, about 5 mintutes.  Add enough vegetable stock to cover veg, then add red lentils - simmer until lentils are cooked.  Add lemon juice and barley.  Blend with stick blender to desired consistency (I like to leave some chunks for texture).  Season to taste with sea salt and cracked pepper.

Serves 4.


*See how I make you think that science has killed me; that I struggle under the weight of impending projects and publications?  The truth is... (NERD ALERT!)... I am bored and lost without it.  Rather than feeling weakened or over-burdened with stress... I am actually quite exstatic.  I am told this will change in time, but for now, I'm pretty excited about my PhD.

No comments:

Post a Comment