21 September 2010

Sunday French Toast for Kisskas

Wow, this is a terrible picture.


I've moved to Scotland. Hence my lack of posting. But, if you lived here, and could get busy doing this...



...would you really be worried about your blog? Nah, me neither.

This time last year, I was freaking out. I quit my job, hopped onto a plane and moved to another continent. I was about to become a scientist, when I'd been a business-gal my whole life since graduating from college (albeit a business-gal with a wild streak for science). Had I made the right choice? What the hell was I thinking?

It was scary. I ate a lot of Tums.

This move was way way way less scary. It was only 4 hours away instead of an entire ocean. I get to do more of what I've been doing, but in a different place. A more awesome place. Nothing against Liverpool, but really, I'm a country girl at heart. Give me some cows, please. Moo. My new university town has mountains to climb and bunnies and foxes. It combines a whole bunch of my favourite things: science, countryside, and Britain. And lots more.

Still, it was a bit of a hectic month for me. I moved up to Scotland, stayed for a week, then returned to Liverpool to write up and deliver my thesis. Two weeks later, I returned to Scotland a free woman, finished with my master's degree with some time to spare before diving headlong into my PhD.

Today is a lazy Sunday. It's overcast and kinda dreary (par for the course in Scotland, really). I made espresso in my сafetière. I put amaretto in it. And then I made this french toast for me and my new flatmate. She's nice and entirely tolerant (enthusiastic, even) about my weirdo food blog. She helped me cook and even grabbed the camera to take action shots.

I can't take credit for this recipe -- one of my friends in Liverpool came up with this Sunday morning treat. He's been making this for years on lazy Sundays for his wife (his "kisska" -- the Russian word for a little female kitten). During my two-week stay with them, I was invited to be a kisska and share this treat with them.


Sunday French Toast for Kisskas

You will need:

Bread
Eggs
Milk
Vanilla extract
Soft Cheese (Cream Cheese to you North Americans)
Nutella
Banana
Maple Syrup


Whisk together eggs and a touch of milk, plus a little vanilla. For 4 small pieces of bread, one egg and a few tablespoons of milk was all that I needed. Dip bread slices in eggy mixture, both sides, and fry in a dry nonstick skillet over medium heat, 2-3 minutes per side. Remove to a baking sheet.

Preheat grill/broiler to medium-high heat. Spread each toast with a layer of soft cheese, then spread on a layer of nutella. Slice up a banana and layer on top of the nutella. Finish by drizzling over some maple syrup. Place under the broiler for about 5 minutes until heated through and the outside edges begin to crisp up, ever-so-slightly. The end.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment