13 July 2010

Chocolate Coma Cookies

This is a recipe of memories.




When I started this foodie life, it began as a baking thing.

I started baking in high school.  My grandmother was an avid baker.  I learned early on that men love cookies.  Hm.  So, I baked cookies.  I couldn't help it.

Fast forward to my post-college life in Atlanta.  I was the ultimate stress machine.  I was stuck in a job I hated (thank you, shitty economy).  Yeah, I was good at it, but I had no passion.  I was overeducated for the position.  They'd fire my friends and make me do their work.  I was a cog in the machinery of business, not really paid to think.  I felt that the way I spent the majority of my waking life had little-to-no valuable impact on the world, when I knew I could do so much more.  I was all sorts of unhappy.

The nice thing, for me, about baking is that it's so *precise*.  You follow an exact set of instructions and have complete control over the outcome of your work.  So, when the rest of my life was a discombobulated, uncontrollable hell... baking became my sanctuary.  I started playing with different ingredients, and before I knew it, I emerged a cooking and baking foodie chick, taking pictures and storing recipes away (long before I grew the balls to make this bliggity-blog).

I still "stress-bake."  My mom says she knows when I am entirely stressed, since the amount of baked goods I produce increases exponentially in comparison to wholesome, healthy things.  Yep, Mom reads the blog.  Hi, Mom!

My thoughts are this: if you're going to be stressed and crave sweet things, why not bake them yourself?  They're not exactly healthy, but they're sure to be healthier than if you buy them in a package that came from a factory, with all those extra, unpronounceable things that were never meant to be inside food in the first place.  Plus, you get the stress-relief of the baking process, and the ultimate satisfaction of tasting something awesome that you made yourself.

Why don't you try these cookies, for a start?  They were the first ones I ever made on my culinary journey - the first pictures in my photo archive entitled "FOOD."  It'll un-stress you.  And if there's a boy you fancy, give him some.  Works every time.



Chocolate Coma Cookies
adapted from this original recipe


1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups (total) milk choc, bittersweet, white choc, and peanut butter chips


-Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
-In large bowl, beat butter, sugar, egg, and vanilla until light and fluffy. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt; stir into the butter mixture until well blended. Mix in the chocolate chips. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.
-Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or just until set. Cool slightly on the cookie sheets before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.

Makes 2 dozen cookies

4 comments:

  1. I'm going to make these for my month of exams. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM!!!! These look soooo good!! I "stress-bake" as well!! It totally relaxes me and then I get to eat what I make!! :)
    Would you mind checking out my blog? :D http://ajscookingsecrets.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, talk about a kindred spirit. When I clicked on this pic on Tastespotting, I didn't expect to read my life story! Wow. I was just hunting for a decadent chocolate cookie recipe to make for a meeting I'm going to this weekend, and I think I've now found it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Elizabeth,
    I hope you like them!! They are crazy-delicious. Thanks for commenting -- it's good to know there are others out there. :)

    ReplyDelete