24 April 2010

Quinoa Bowl with Honey-Cumin Lemon Vinaigrette




My Easter Break was kind of an unhealthy one.  A trip to Poland for a conference (oh, pierogis! oh, vodka!), Easter dinner, leftovers from Easter dinner, and 2 days of birthday celebrations, while all wonderful and packed full of delicious foods shared with great friends, left me feeling hungover and kinda sluggish.  I had to get back to the grind last week, and I needed something to kick my brain back into gear for science-time.  Enter: quinoa.

Quinoa is one of those "superfoods."  It's full of awesome goodness.  It makes my brain juices flow.  Not a real neuroscience term, but the metaphor works.  It's food for my brain.  It helps me write about brains.  There's something oddly lovely in that.



Quinoa Bowl with Honey-Cumin Lemon Vinaigrette

Quinoa
Potatoes, cubed with skins left on (if using a thin-skinned variety)
Onion, diced
Garlic
Sea salt to taste
Freshly-cracked pepper
Olive oil for frying

Dressing:
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tea cumin
1 tablespoon honey, or more depending on preference
Dash of sea salt

Garnish:
Zest of 1/2 lemon

Cook quinoa in water or stock according to package instructions.  Meanwhile, fry up potatoes and onion in some olive oil until potatoes are beginning to brown.  Add salt, pepper and garlic and continue until potatoes are crispy.

Whisk all dressing ingredients together and set aside.

Assemble bowl - quinoa and vegetables go in, then pour some dressing over top.  Serve sprinkled with lemon zest.


1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious! I've been experimenting with quinoa lately so I'll have to try it out.

    (I stumbled across your blog in search of rye pancakes– I'll be trying those soon as well!)

    ReplyDelete