20 February 2010

Buttery Cream Cheese Coffee Cake



Mmmm. Good. Heavens.

This cake was goooood.

I needed something to take along to one of my seminars, that's good for a quick snack with afternoon tea.  I'd had this recipe bookmarked for a couple of weeks, and I'm glad it didn't remain too long on the to-be-baked list.  This cake is super-moist, very rich, and sure to impress.  It also might impress the women in your life, if you happen to have any.  I'm not really sure what else to say about it... except that you should most definitely make it for your next dinner party, potluck, or any time all of your friends gather in the same location.

*Note to Brits: this cake, though called a "coffee cake," does not contain coffee.  It's for having with coffee - kind of like how teacakes don't actually contain tea.  Yet another instance of two countries separated by a common language... I'm slowly learning to cope.

I found the recipe via this food blog, and the original recipe is here.  The only thing I can think that might make it better is an addition of some lemon zest in the filling.  Next time.

Buttery Cream Cheese Coffee Cake

CAKE

1 cup (225g) butter (no substitutes)
1 cup caster sugar
2 eggs
1/4 cup sour cream (I used crème fraiche)
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

FILLING

2 (8 oz or 250g each) packages cream cheese, softened
1 egg yolk
1 cup caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

TOPPING

1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup butter


Set oven to 350F (175C) with oven rack set to second-lowest position. Grease a 13 x 9-inch (or an 11 x 7-inch, baking time will need to be increased slightly). Cream butter with sugar (about 3-4 minutes), add in eggs and sour cream or crème fraiche; beat well (about another 3 minutes). In a bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt.Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture; beat well until combined (batter will be thick). Spread more than half of the batter in the prepared baking pan. In another bowl, cream together all filling ingredients, then carefully spread over the cake batter. Spoon the remaining cake batter over the top of the cheese mixture. Mix all topping ingredients, pinching together with fingers until the consistency is like crumbs, and sprinkle over the top. Bake for about 50-55 minutes or until middle feels set and not jiggly.

12 comments:

  1. Hi there!

    I was just wondering when you say caster sugar, are you referring to the sugar that is midway between granulated sugar and powdered (confectioner's) sugar in terms of fineness? I know that in the UK the lingo is sometimes different than the US/Canada.

    Thanks!

    -- LK

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's about right, yes... you can easily replace one for the other, caster sugar is finer than granulated sugar and commonly used in baking over here. If you're in the US you can easily substitute it 1 for 1 with granulated sugar, or get some "superfine" sugar - but I don't see the need to go out and buy an extra ingredient when they are, for all intents and purposes, the same.

    Hope that helps!
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the best coffee cake I have ever tasted!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can find caster sugar at Williams-Sonoma in here in the States, but i read that since it's just a degree of fineness in the same sugar, you can just pulse granulated sugar a few times in a blender or food processor and make your own caster sugar, and continuing to blend will make powdered sugar (if your machine is beefy enough). looking forward to trying the recipe, and trust me, as an American who lived in the UK, the language switches get easier!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Torture for us watching our cholesterol :) still need to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been looking for a cake recipe that looks like this. Our Nickles bakery makes a similar cake that they sell at all the local grocers, however it is quite expensive. Thank you very very much for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I suggest a 11x7 pan because there is not enough batter to cover a 9x13 pan also not enough crumb topping. Otherwise the cake was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooo, And I have a can of raspberry pie filling I just might have to layer in :}

    ReplyDelete
  9. The bottom burnt and I only put it for 40 minutes..However this is THE BEST coffee cake I've had in my life....OMG..I can't stop eating it. ... even the burnt parts..lol... Thanks for the recipe will definitely be making it over and over again. .oh I doubled the topping and it was just enough. ..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also only put mine in for 40 minutes and it was burnt. It tasted really good but super dry! Any suggestions on how to fix this next time? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm making it right no;) Smells amazing!

    ReplyDelete